MGL has the distinction of pioneering Natural Gas distribution network in Mumbai and its adjoining areas. Over 0.8 million domestic customers are connected through our wide network of over 4400 kms. which comprises of carbon steel (CS) and polyethylene (PE) pipeline. Domestic PNG is used for various purposes like cooking and water heating. It is also widely used by Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Hotels, Flight kitchens, Restaurants, places of Worship etc. PNG satisfies most of the requirements for fuel across all segments, being efficient, non-polluting and relatively economical.
The Different Uses Of Domestic PNG
& Nursing Homes
Hotels & Restaurants
Places of Worship
Benefits of Piped Natural Gas
- Convenience - Gas is continuously fed into the system so there are no hassles of refilling / changing the cylinder; it is piped and does not require any space to store, hence handling is easy, safe and secure.
- Economical - Higher savings than any other conventional fuel.
- Safe - Robust systems and processes as per international safety standards that match the best in the world, are practiced. PNG being lighter than air disperses easily and avoids spontaneous flammability.
- Consistent, reliable supply - MGL has got a track record of almost 100% reliability in its gas supply. Even during the deluge of July 2005 in Mumbai, when most other utilities failed, PNG supply continued uninterrupted.
- Eco-friendly - Use of PNG improves public health. It also reduces the transportation of bottled gas within the metro thereby reducing traffic congestion and safety on the roads.
With only one carbon and four hydrogen atoms per molecule (Methane) Natural Gas is a composition of hydrocarbons (Almost 95% Methane & rest other Hydro Carbons). Its calorific value generally ranges from 8000 kcal/m3 to 9000 kcal/m3, Natural Gas has the lowest carbon to hydrogen ratio, and hence it burns completely, making it a more environment friendly fuel.
- Physical stateGas
- OdourOdourless (For easy detection through smell, Ethyl Mercaptan is added as Odourant)
- Melting point-182 ° C
- Boiling point-161.5°C
- Vapor density0.6 to 0.7 (with respect to air)
- Flammability ratio5 to 15% by volume in air
- Auto ignition temp540°C