What is Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)?
CNG is a fossil fuel substitute for other auto fuels such as petrol, diesel, Auto LPG etc. For use in Automobiles as fuel, Natural Gas is compressed & dispensed to vehicles at high pressure of 200 bar to enhance the vehicle on board storage capacity.
Today, almost all the auto-rickshaws and taxies are plying on CNG. CNG is also being supplied to transport undertakings such as BEST, TMT, MSRTC & NMMT. Besides these, passenger cars, postal vans, school buses, courier vans, Light and Heavy commercial vehicles are also enjoying the benefits of CNG.
CNG is substantially economical and Eco-friendly than the conventional liquid auto fuel. Moreover, it is easily available in and around the Mumbai city, making it the preferred auto fuel of Mumbai.
- Easy on the pocket.
- CNG delivers high performance at low cost, as it gives your vehicle a better mileage.
- CNG does not contaminate or dilute crank case oil, giving engine an extended life.
- MGL has around 180 CNG filling stations with more than 970 dispensing points in Mumbai, Mira-Bhayander, Thane and Navi Mumbai.
- MGL is also expanding CNG network in new areas like Kalyan, Dombivali, Ambernath, Badlapur, Ulahasnagar, Bhivandi, Panvel etc.
- Other than Mumbai, CNG is also available in 41 cities and would be available in more than 300 cities in near future.
- CNG corridors at present connects Mumbai to the cities of Pune, Surat and Ahmedabad. In case of Petrol Car / Taxi, dual fuel option is available that helps in switching between CNG and petrol as and when required.
- The use of CNG significantly reduces harmful vehicular exhaust gas emissions like carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and other suspended particles.
- It protects the environment by reducing the effects of global warming.
- Non –toxic, non-corrosive, non-carcinogenic and hence improves public health.
Safe & Reliable
- CNG is lighter than air and hence disperses quickly without any dangerous accumulation.
- CNG has a narrow flammability range making it much safer than other fuels.
- CNG has a higher ignition temperature than other fuels, reducing chances of accidental and spontaneous ignition.